The Interdynamic Foundations Course is required for all subsequent couples classes (exceptions considered case by case; contact Dr. Wakefield at email@example.com).
Essentials of Sex Therapy 1 & 2 can be taken as stand-alone classes (Essentials 1 as a prerequisite).
$149 per unit of couples training with six UAMS social work contact hours. $225 for each sex therapy training class.
All classes will have time for cases and questions and will be limited to 20 in-person students.
Distance attendance by Zoom is a possibility – contact Dr. Wakefield
Room location to be announced.
Interdynamic Couples Therapy™ – ICT is an Integrative Couples Therapy that draws from 5 streams of evidence-based theory and practice.
- Behavioral interventions – communication, problem solving, conflict management and helping couples find exit ramps off their conflict highways.
- Attachment Theory – our early patterns of interaction, early neglect and emotional wounding, or secure bonding embed in the body and affect present day capacity to trust, bond, accurately interpret interactions, and regulate emotion. How has this couple gone about creating that third entity – “the relationship” – and how effectively are they nurturing that bond as the relationship develops or neglecting and damaging the bond?
- Jungian and Differentiation theory – in a couple, two people are on a path of individual development (differentiation) and interpersonal growth – “individuation in connection.” Helping couples adopt this as a context.
- Narrative and Cognitive Therapy – deconstructing the negativity bias, rewriting the negative story the couple is stuck in and “re-casting” who are they in that story.
- Schema and Parts Psychology – examining the “inner cast of characters” in each partner. Rework early maladaptive schemas and dismantle dysfunctional defenses. Examining how their inner characters are “pairing up” in helpful or distressing ways. Developing self-awareness and the ability to interrupt conflict cycles, co-regulate and find meaning and satisfaction.
Certification Requirements – Level One
Each unit offers 6 hours of training. Any of these classes can be taken without being a part of the certification process. The Foundations Class is a pre-requisite for all other couples training classes. The Sex Therapy classes can be taken independently.
- Foundations of Interdynamic Couples Therapy™
- Parts, Schemas, and Interlocking Complexes in Couples Work
- Infidelities – Crisis, Repair, Post-traumatic Growth
- Challenging Couples
- Essentials of Sex Therapy – Part 1
- Essentials of Sex Therapy – Part 2
- Self of the Therapist
- 12 hours of group supervision (@ $100 an hour)
- 10 hours of individual supervision with Dr. Wakefield (4 recorded client sessions required – supervision @$150 an hour)