Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Child Trauma Clinical Psychology


Jennifer Gess, Ph.D.

The Department of Psychiatry at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) has an opening for a one-year postdoctoral fellow in Child Trauma Clinical Psychology for the training year 2022-2023. The fellowship start date is flexible.

The majority of fellowship (60 percent) is dedicated to clinical training, including clinical care activities and didactics. The remaining 40 percent is reserved for administrative, training, and research activities through Arkansas Building Effective Services for Trauma (ARBEST), a state-funded program that aims to improve outcomes for traumatized children and families through excellence in clinical care, training, advocacy, and evaluation.

The goal of our program is to provide fellows with specialized, evidence-based training in the evaluation and treatment of traumatic stress in children and adolescents ages birth through 17 years. Fellows are supervised by certified trainers/consultants in Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT), Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT), and Child-Parent Psychotherapy (CPP) allowing for the ability of fellows to make significant progress towards national certification/rostering in these interventions. Fellows often receive supported experience working with the child welfare system and may have the opportunity to testify in court and participate in court staffing meetings.

In addition to individual and family therapy services, the fellow will also conduct psychological evaluations with children and adolescents in outpatient and inpatient settings. In the UAMS Child Study Center, the fellow will conduct psychodiagnostic, psychoeducational, and developmental evaluations. In addition to these evaluations, the fellow will also provide comprehensive psychodiagnostic evaluations for high-risk youth in the child welfare system through our Complex Trauma Assessment program. In the UAMS Psychiatric Research Institute’s Child Diagnostic Unit, the fellow will spend time conducting evaluations with children and participating in multidisciplinary team staffings.


Glenn Mesman, Ph.D.

Although the majority of the training during the fellowship focuses on clinical activities, the fellow will also spend a small portion of time engaged in scholarly activities, which may include presenting for community stakeholders or at conferences, writing manuscripts, or assisting with grant applications. Faculty interests include childhood behavior problems, childhood traumatic stress, and dissemination/implementation of evidence-based trauma treatments. The fellow may also have opportunities to provide umbrella supervision to our psychology doctoral interns, depending on interest and experience.

Our team takes great pride in serving diverse and underserved populations across settings. In addition to clinical service, our fellow will also have the opportunity to participate in our year-long comprehensive cultural humility didactic series. Fellow applicants who demonstrate experience with and interest in working with diverse populations are desired.

More detailed information pertaining to our training opportunities, rotations, eligibility requirements, and application procedures can be found in our program brochure. (Click here for the brochure).

For those interested in applying, the following materials should be e-mailed to Glenn Mesman, Ph.D. (

1.) Cover letter

2.) Vita

3.) Three letters of recommendation

4.) De-identified sample psychological evaluation report demonstrating the integration of multiple sources of data

The deadline for completed applications is rolling and will continue until the position is filled. Application will start to be reviewed on Dec. 1, 2021. All interviews will be conducted through the televideo platform Zoom.

For questions about the fellowship, please feel free to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you.

Jennifer L. Gess, Ph.D., ABPP
Director, Psychology Training
Associate Professor, Neuropsychology
Department of Psychiatry
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

Glenn Mesman, Ph.D.
Assistant Director, Psychology Training
Associate Professor, Child Clinical Psychology
Department of Psychiatry
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences