Ellen P. Fischer, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Research Health Scientist, Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research (CeMHOR), Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Director, MIRECC Implementation, Design and Analysis Support (MIDAS) Team, VA South Central Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Acting Director, Pilot Studies Program, VA South Central Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
UAMS phone: 501-526-8125
VA phone: 501-257-1711
UAMS e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
VA e-mail: Ellen.Fischer@va.gov
Dr. Fischer is an epidemiologist and mental health services researcher. She served as the founding chair of the Department of Epidemiology in UAMS’s Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health. Dr. Fischer’s research has focused on outcomes of care for individuals with schizophrenia, facilitators of sustained involvement in care, and involvement of family members in care for individuals with SMI or PTSD. Her most recent research focuses on the association of attitudes toward healthcare treatment-seeking and rural-urban differences in utilization of mental health services.
Research Interests: access and engagement in mental health care, family involvement in care, PTSD, schizophrenia, shared decision-making
Research Interests: family involvement in care, PTSD, schizophrenia, shared decision-making
Current publications (2009-2016)
- Sherman MD, Fischer EP, Bowling UB, Dixon LB, Ridener L, Harrison D. A new engagement strategy in a VA-based family psychoeducation program. Psychiatric Services 2009; 60(2): 254-257.
- Sherman MD, Fischer EP, McFarlane W, Sorocco K. Adapting the multifamily group model to the Veterans’ Affairs system: The REACH program. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 2009; 40(6): 593-600.Reprinted in: Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice 2011; 1(S): 74-84.
- McSweeney J, Pettey C, Fischer E, Spellman A. Going the distance: Overcoming challenges in recruitment and retention of black and white women to a multi-site, longitudinal study of predictors of coronary heart disease. Research in Gerontological Nursing 2009; 2(4): 256-264.
- Sisterhen LL, Sheffer CE, Bursac Z, Fischer EP. Rates of enrollment in smoking cessation services following fax referrals from a children’s hospital. Academic Pediatrics 2010; 10(3): 200-204.
- Young AS, Niv N, Chinman M, Dixon L, Eisen SV, Fischer EP, Smith J, Valenstein M, Marder SR, Owen RR. Routine outcomes monitoring to support improving care for schizophrenia: Report from the VA Mental Health QUERI. Community Mental Health Journal 2011; 47(2): 123-135.
- Sherman MD, Fischer EP. Provider, Veteran and family perspectives on family education in VA community-based outpatient facilities. Psychological Services 2012; 9(1): 89-100.
- McSweeney JC, Cleves MA, Fischer EP, Rojo MO, Armbya N, Moser DK. Reliability of the McSweeney Acute and Prodromal Myocardial Infarction Symptom Survey among black and white women. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2013; 12(4):360-367. doi: 10.1177/1474515112459989.
- Fischer EP, Sherman MD, Han X, Owen RR. Outcomes of participation in the REACH Multifamily Group Program for veterans with PTSD and their families. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 2013; 44(3): 127-134. doi: 10.1037/a0032024.
- McSweeney J, Cleves MA, Fischer EP, Moser DK, Wei J, Pettey C, Rojo MO, Armbya N. Predicting coronary heart disease events in women: A longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2013 e-pub ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182a409cc.
- Pyne JM, Fischer EP, Gilmore L, McSweeney J, Stewart KE, Mittal D, Bost JE, Valenstein M. Development of a patient-centered antipsychotic medication adherence intervention. Health Education and Behavior 2014; 41(3):315-324. doi: 10.1177/1090198113515241
- Fischer EP, Sherman MD, McSweeney JC, Pyne JM, Owen RR, Dixon LB. Perspectives of family and veterans on family programs to support reintegration of returning veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychological Services 2015; 12(3):187-198. doi: 10.1037/ser0000033
- Sherman MD, Fischer EP, Owen RR, Lu L, Han X. Multi-family group treatment for veterans with mood disorders: A pilot study. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice 2015; 4(3):136-149. doi: 10.1037/cfp0000040