Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Associate Professor, Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Research Health Scientist, Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research (CeMHOR), Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Director, MIRECC Implementation, Design and Analysis Support (MIDAS) Team, VA South Central Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Assistant Director for Research, VA South Central Mental Illness Research, Education and Clinical Center (MIRECC), Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
UAMS phone: 501-526-8125
VA phone: 501-257-1711
UAMS e-mail: email@example.com
VA e-mail: Ellen.Fischer@va.gov
Dr. Fischer is an epidemiologist and mental health services researcher. She served as the founding chair of the Department of Epidemiology in UAMS’s Fay W. Boozman College of Public Health. Dr. Fischer’s research has focused on outcomes of care for individuals with schizophrenia, facilitators of sustained involvement in care, and involvement of family members in care for individuals with SMI or PTSD. Her most recent research focuses on the association of attitudes toward healthcare treatment-seeking and rural-urban differences in utilization of mental health services.
Research Interests: access and engagement in mental health care, family involvement in care, PTSD, schizophrenia, shared decision-makingm family involvement in care, PTSD, schizophrenia, shared decision-making
Current publications (2012-2019)
- Sherman MD, Fischer EP. Provider, Veteran and family perspectives on family education in VA community-based outpatient facilities. Psychological Services 2012; 9(1): 89-100.
- McSweeney JC, Cleves MA, Fischer EP, Rojo MO, Armbya N, Moser DK. Reliability of the McSweeney Acute and Prodromal Myocardial Infarction Symptom Survey among black and white women. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2013; 12(4):360-367. doi: 10.1177/1474515112459989.
- Fischer EP, Sherman MD, Han X, Owen RR. Outcomes of participation in the REACH Multifamily Group Program for veterans with PTSD and their families. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 2013; 44(3): 127-134. doi: 10.1037/a0032024.
- McSweeney J, Cleves MA, Fischer EP, Moser DK, Wei J, Pettey C, Rojo MO, Armbya N. Predicting coronary heart disease events in women: A longitudinal cohort study. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing 2013 e-pub ahead of print. doi: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e3182a409cc.
- Pyne JM, Fischer EP, Gilmore L, McSweeney J, Stewart KE, Mittal D, Bost JE, Valenstein M. Development of a patient-centered antipsychotic medication adherence intervention. Health Education and Behavior 2014; 41(3):315-324. doi: 10.1177/1090198113515241
- Fischer EP, Sherman MD, McSweeney JC, Pyne JM, Owen RR, Dixon LB. Perspectives of family and veterans on family programs to support reintegration of returning veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder. Psychological Services 2015; 12(3):187-198. doi: 10.1037/ser0000033
- Sherman MD, Fischer EP, Owen RR, Lu L, Han X. Multi-family group treatment for veterans with mood disorders: A pilot study. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice 2015; 4(3):136-149. doi: 10.1037/cfp0000040
- Fischer EP, McSweeney JC, Wright P, Cheney A, Curran GM, Henderson K, Fortney JC. Overcoming barriers to sustained engagement in mental health care: Perspectives of rural veterans and providers. The Journal of Rural Health 2016; 32:429-438. doi:10.1111/jrh.12203
- Miller CJ, Burgess JF, Fischer EP, Hodges DJ, Belanger LK, Lipschitz JM, Easley SR, Koenig CJ, Stanley RL, Pyne JM. Practical application of opt-out recruitment methods in two health services research studies. BMC Medical Research Methodology 2017; 17-57. doi: 10.1186/s12874-017-0333-5
- McSweeney JC, Cleves MA, Fischer EP, Pettey CM, Beasley B. Using the McSweeney Acute and Prodromal Myocardial Infarction Symptom Survey to predict the occurrence of short-term coronary heart disease events in women. Women’s Health Issues 2017; 27(6):660-665 (epub 2017 Aug 19) Doi: 10.1016/j.whi.2017.07.002.
- Fischer EP, McSweeney JC, Wright P. Identifying barriers to engagement in mental health care: Perspectives of rural veterans and providers. Forum Summer 2017, p. 6.
- Pyne JM, Kelly PA, Fischer EP, Miller CJ, Wright P, Zamora K, Koenig CJ, Stanley R, Seal K, Burgess JF, Fortney JC. Development of the Perceived Access Inventory: A patient-centered measure of access to mental health care. Psychological Services 2018 Jul 19 (Epub ahead of print). Doi: 10.1037/ser0000235.
- Morrow D, Fischer EP, Walder AM, Jubran NI. Non-opioid alternatives to addressing pain intensity: A retrospective look at two non-invasive pain treatment devices at the Eastern Oklahoma Veterans Administration Health Care System pain clinic. Federal Practitioner (accepted for publication)
- Pyne JM, Kelly PA, Fischer EP, Miller CJ, Wright P, Zamora K, Koenig CJ, Stanley R, Seal K, Fortney JC. (2018) Development of the Perceived Access Inventory for community care mental healthcare services for veterans. Military Medicine (accepted for publication)