Assistant Professor, Division of Health Services Research, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
UAMS E-mail: email@example.com
Phone: (479) 713-8675
Dr. Long completed his doctoral degree in social psychology at the University of Massachusetts, and he completed post-doctoral training in emotion, cognition, and health psychology at Universite Catholique de Louvain, Belgium. At UAMS, much of Dr. Long’s work involves community-engaged program evaluation and research. He has designed and implemented program evaluations for multi-year projects funded by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to improve the health of communities across northwest Arkansas. In addition, Dr. Long studies interventions to improve access to healthy food in food pantries and food banks, and he works on projects investigating best practices for sharing health research results with study participants. He has served as co-investigator on projects assessing the effectiveness of chronic disease prevention and management interventions with the Marshallese community in Arkansas. Dr. Long is also an affiliated investigator with the Arkansas Children’s Research Institute’s Center for Childhood Obesity Prevention.
Research Interests: Food insecurity and improving the health of food pantry patrons; Obesity prevention; Pacific Islander health; Dissemination of research results; Community-engaged program evaluation
Current publications (2016-2018)
- Long CR, Stewart MK, Cunningham TV, Warmack TS, McElfish PA. Health research participants’ preferences for receiving research results. Clinical Trials. 2016;13(6): 582-591.
- Purvis RS, Abraham TH, Long CR, Stewart MK, Warmack TS, Mcelfish PA. Qualitative study of participants’ perceptions and preferences regarding research dissemination. AJOB Empirical Bioethics. 2017;8(2): 69-74.
- Yeary KHK, Long CR, Bursac Z, McElfish PA. Design of a randomized, controlled, comparative-effectiveness trial testing a Family Model of Diabetes Self-Management Education (DSME) vs. standard DSME for United States Marshallese Islanders. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communications. 2017;6: 97-104.
- McElfish PA, Long CR, Rowland B, Moore S, Wilmoth R, Ayers B. Improving culturally appropriate care using a community-based participatory approach: evaluation of a multicomponent cultural competency training program, Arkansas, 2015-2016. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2017;14: E62.
- Felix H, Li X, Rowland B, Long CR, Yeary KHK, McElfish PA. Physical activity and diabetes-related health beliefs of Marshallese adults. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2017;41(5):553-560.
- McElfish PA, Narcisse MR, Long CR, Ayers BL, Hawley NL, Aitaoto N, Riklon S, Su LJ, Ima SZ, Wilmoth RO, Schulz TK, Kadlubar S. Leveraging community-based participatory research capacity to recruit Pacific Islanders into a genetics study. Journal of Community Genetics. 2017;8(4):283-291.
- Long CR, Stewart MK, McElfish PA. Health research participants are not receiving research results: a collaborative solution is needed. Trials. 2017;18:449.
- Long CR, Rowland B, Steelman SC, McElfish PA. Outcomes of disease prevention and management interventions in food pantries and food banks: protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e018022. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-018022
- McElfish PA, Rowland B, Long CR, Hudson J, Piel M, Buron B, Riklon S, Bing WI, Warmack TS. Diabetes and hypertension in Marshallese adults: results from faith-based health screenings. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. 2017;4(6):1042-1050.
- McElfish PA, Moore R, Buron B, Hudson J, Long CR, Purvis RS, Schultz TK, Rowland B, Warmack TS. Integrating interprofessional education and cultural competency training to address health disparities. Teaching and Learning in Medicine. 2018;30(2):213-222. doi: 10.1080/10401334.2017.1365717.
- McElfish PA, Long CR, Payakachat N, Felix H, Bursac Z, Rowland B, Hudson JS, Narcisse MR. Cost-related nonadherence to medication treatment plans: Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander National Health Interview Survey, 2014. Medical Care. 2018;56(4):341-349. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000887.
- McElfish PA, Long CR, Kaholokula JK, Aitaoto N, Bursac Z, Capelle L, Laelan M, Bing WI, Riklon S, Rowland B, Ayers BL, Wilmoth RO, Langston KN, Schootman M, Selig JP, Yeary KHK. Design of a comparative effectiveness randomized controlled trial testing a faith-based Diabetes Prevention Program (WORD DPP) vs. a Pacific culturally adapted Diabetes Prevention Program (PILI DPP) for Marshallese in the United States. Medicine. 2018;97(19):e0677. doi: 10.1097/MD.0000000000010677.
- McElfish PA, Long CR, Stephens RM, Spencer N, Rowland B, Spencer HJ, Stewart MK. Assessing community health priorities and perceptions about health research: A foundation for a community-engaged research program. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement. 2018 Mar; 22(1):107-128.
- Felix H, Rowland B, Long CR, Narcisse MR, Piel M, Goulden PA, McElfish PA. Diabetes self-care behaviors among Marshallese adults living in the United States. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. 2018; 20(6):1500-1507. doi: 10.1007/s10903-017-0683-4. PMID: 29243017.
- McElfish PA, Ayers BL, Long CR, Sinclair K, Esquivel M, Steelman SC. 2017. Best practices for community-engaged participatory research with Pacific Islander communities in the US and USAPI: protocol for a scoping review. BMJ Open. 2018; 8(1):e019653. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-019653. PMCID: PMC5786128.
- Matthews EE, Li C, Long CR, Narcisse MR, Martin B, McElfish PA. 2017. Sleep deficiency among Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, Black, and White Americans and the association with cardiometabolic diseases: Analysis of the National Health Interview Survey data. Sleep Health: Journal of the National Sleep Foundation. 2018;4(3):273-283. doi: 10.1016/j.sleh.2018.01.004. PMID: 29776622.
- McElfish PA, Long CR, Selig JP, Rowland B, Purvis RS, James L, Holland A, Felix HC, Narcisse MR. Health research participation, opportunity, and willingness among minority and rural communities of Arkansas. Clinical and Translational Science. Clin Transl Sci. 2018;11(5):487-497.
- McElfish PA, Purvis RS, Long CR. Researchers’ experiences with and perceptions of returning results to participants study protocol. Contemporary Clinical Trials Communication. 2018;11:95-98. doi: 10.1016/j.conctc.2018.06.005. PMID: 30003172. PMCID: PMC6039541.
- Rowland B, Mayes K, Faitak B, Stephens RM, Long CR, Mcelfish PA. Improving Health while Alleviating Hunger: Best Practices of a Successful Hunger Relief Organization. Current Developments in Nutrition. 2018;2(9):nzy057. PMID: 30191200. PMCID: PMC6121129.
- Narcisse MR, Long CR, Felix H, Rowland B, Bursac Z, McElfish PA. The mediating role of sleep quality and quantity in the link between food insecurity and obesity across race and ethnicity. Obesity. 2018;26(9):1509-1518.
- Narcisse MR, Felix H, Long CR, Hudson T, Payakachat N, Bursac Z, McElfish PA. Frequency and predictors of health services use by Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders: evidence from the U.S. National Health Interview Survey. BMC Health Services Research. 2018;18(1):575. PMID: 30031403. PMCID: PMC6054839.
- McElfish PA, Balli ML, Hudson JS, Long CR, Hudson T, Wilmoth R, Rowland B, Warmack TS, Purvis RS, Shulz T, Riklon S, Holland A, Dickey T. Identifying and understanding barriers and facilitators to medication adherence among Marshallese adults in Arkansas. J Pharm Technol. 2018. 34(5): 204-215. doi: 10.1177/8755122518786262.