Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Staff Psychologist, PTSD Specialty Care Clinic, Central Arkansas Veterans Health Care System
Investigator, Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research (CeMHOR)
Dr. Griffin is a licensed clinical research psychologist who specializes in recovery and resilience among individuals, groups, and communities exposed to highly stressful and traumatic events. As an expert on assessment and treatment of psychological trauma, Dr. Griffin utilizes mental health practices supported by scientific evidence to promote fitness for duty and quality of life among military veterans and first responders. His work on the topic of moral injury, defined as the psychological, emotional, social, and spiritual problems that can result from exposure to traumatic events that transgress one’s moral values, has supported innovations in post-deployment mental health and suicide prevention. Also, Dr. Griffin co-edited the Handbook of the Psychology of Self-Forgiveness (Springer, 2017) and continues to explore the health benefits of practicing forgiveness toward oneself and others.
Current Publications (2017-2020)
- Maguen, S., Griffin, B. J., Copeland, L. A., Perkins, D. F., Finley, E. P., & Vogt, D. (2020). Gender differences in prevalence and outcomes of moral injury among Post-9/11 veterans. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 130, 97-103.
- Griffin, B. J., Williams, C., Burkman, K., Purcell, N., Shaler, L., Dees, R., Cowden, R., Litz, B., Bryan, C., & Maguen, S. (2020). Profiles of moral distress and associated outcomes among student veterans. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice & Policy, Advanced online publication.
- Griffin, B. J., Cornish, M., Worthington, E. L., Jr., & Maguen, S. (2020). Forgiveness as a mechanism of repair following military-related moral injury. In J. M. Currier, K. D. Drescher, & J. A. Nieuwsma (Eds.), Addressing Moral Injury in Clinical Practice. Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
- Cowden, R. G., Worthington, E. L., Jr., Griffin, B. J., Davis, D. E., & Grubbs, J. (2020). Tendencies to forgive, punish, and exonerate oneself: A multi-study investigation. Journal of Research in Personality, 86, 103934.
- Toussaint, L. L., Griffin, B. J., Worthington, E. L., Jr., Zoelzer, M. & Luskin, F. (2020). Promoting forgiveness at a Christian college: A comparison of the REACH forgiveness and Forgive for Good methods. Journal of Psychology and Theology, 48, 154-165.
- Cowden, R. G., Worthington, E. L., Jr., Nonterah, C. W., Cairo, A. H., Griffin, B. J., & Hook, J. N. (2019). Development of the collectivist-sensitive Trait Forgivingness Scale. Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, 60, 169-180.
- Cowden, R. G., Griffin, B. J., Garthe, R. C., Worthington, E. L., Jr. (2019). Forgiveness moderates relations between psychological abuse and indicators of psychological distress among women in romantic relationships. South African Journal of Science, 115, 1-7.
- Griffin, B. J., Purcell, N., Burkman, K., Litz, B. T., Bryan, C. J., Schmitz, M., Villierme, C., Walsh, J., & Maguen, S. (2019). Moral injury: An integrative review. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 32, 350-362.
- Griffin, B. J., Toussaint, L. L., Zoelzer, M., Worthington, E. L., Jr., McElroy, A., Lavelock, C. R., Coleman, J., Hook, J. N., Wade, N. G., Sandage, S. J., & Rye, M. (2019). Evaluating the effectiveness of a community-based forgiveness campaign. Journal of Positive Psychology, 14, 354-361.
- Griffin, B. J., & Cowden, R. G. (2019). Bibliography of reviews and meta-analyses on forgiveness (2004-2018). In E. L. Worthington, Jr. & N. G. Wade (Eds.), The Handbook of Forgiveness (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Routledge.
- Garthe, R. C., Griffin, B. J., Worthington, E. L., Jr., Goncy, E. A., Sullivan, T. N., Coleman, J. A., Davis, D. E., Kwakye-Nuako, C. O., Mokushane, T., Makola, S., & Anakwah, N. (2018). Negative interpersonal interactions and dating abuse perpetration: The mediating role of dispositional forgivingness. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 33, 2311-2334.
- Griffin, B. J., Worthington, E. L., Jr., Davis, D. E., Hook, J. N., & Maguen, S. (2018). Development of the self-forgiveness dual-process scale. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 65, 715-726.
- Purcell, N., Griffin, B. J., Burkman, K., & Maguen, S. (2018). “Opening a door to a new life”: The role of forgiveness in healing from moral injury. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 9, 1-7.