Director, Center for Implementation Research
Professor, Department of Pharmacy Practice, College of Pharmacy
Professor, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine
Research Health Scientist, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
UAMS phone: 501-686-7610
VA phone: 501-257-1808
UAMS email: firstname.lastname@example.org
VA email: email@example.com
Administrative Assistant: Terrie Larkin, firstname.lastname@example.org, 501-686-6393
Research Program Manager: Cindy Mosley, email@example.com, 501-526-4788
Dr. Curran was trained as a medical sociologist. He began his career looking at the complex etiology of substance use disorders and published several papers on the intersection of social and psychological factors in the development of problem substance use. Later, Dr. Curran became interested in health services research and began to investigate predictors of treatment engagement and outcomes for substance use disorders. In addition to this line of research, Dr. Curran simultaneously developed his research interests in the diffusion of innovation in mental health and primary care settings. He subsequently has been funded by NIDA, NIMH, DOD and the VA to develop and test a range of facilitation strategies designed to support the uptake and sustainment of evidence-based practices. He recently became Director of the Center for Implementation Research at UAMS, a joint entity between the Colleges of Pharmacy and Medicine. The Center is devoted to developing and testing implementation strategies across a wide range of service contexts, assisting with the implementation of practices within UAMS clinics and community practices, and training the next generation of implementation scientists.
Research Interests: implementation science, substance use disorders, access and engagement in care, qualitative methods
- Curran GM, White HR, Hansell S. 1997. “Predicting Problem Drinking: A Test of an Interactive Social Learning Analysis.” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 21(8):1379-1390.
- Fortney JC, Booth BM, Curran GM. 1999. “Do Patients with Alcohol Dependence Use More Services? A Comparative Analysis with Other Chronic Disorders.” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 23(1): 127-133.
- Curran GM, Booth BM. 1999. “Longitudinal Changes in Predictor Profiles of Abstinence among Male Veterans.” Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research 23(1): 141-143.
- Curran GM, Stoltenberg SF, Hill EM, Mudd S, Blow FC, Zucker RA. 1999. “Gender Differences in the Relationships among SES, Family History of Alcoholism, and Alcohol Dependence.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol 60(6):825-832.
- Fischer EP, Marder SR, Smith GR, Owen RO, Rubenstein L, Hedrick SC, Curran GM. 2000. “The Mental Health Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (MHQ).” Medical Care 38(6 Suppl. 1):I70-81.
- Curran GM, White HR, Hansell S. 2000. “Personality, Environment, and Problem Drug Use.” Journal of Drug Issues 30(2):375-406.
- Curran GM, Flynn HA, Kirchner JE, Booth BM. 2000. “Depression after Alcohol Treatment as a Risk Factor for Relapse.” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 19(3):259-265. PMID: 11027896
- Booth BM, Fortney SM, Fortney JC, Curran GM, Kirchner JE. 2001. “Short-Term Course of Drinking in an Untreated Sample of At-Risk Drinkers.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol 62(5):580-588. PMID: 11702797
- Curran GM, Booth BM, Kirchner JE, Worley M, Rookey C, Collins K. 2002. “Depressive Symptomatology and Attrition from Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment.” Journal of Behavioral Health Services Research 29(2):138-143. PMID: 12032971
- Kirchner JE, Curran GM, Thrush CR, Owen RR, Fortney JC, Booth BM. 2002. “Depressive Disorders and Alcohol Dependence in a Community Population.” Community Mental Health Journal 38(5):361-373. PMID: 12236407
- Curran GM, Kirchner JE, Allee E, Booth BM. 2003. “Datapoints: Detecting Substance Use Disorders in VA Primary Care Clinics.” Psychiatric Services 54:1326. PMID: 14557514
- Curran GM, Sullivan G, Williams DK, Han X, Collins K, Keys J, Kotrla KJ. 2003. “Emergency Room Use of Persons with Comorbid Psychiatric and Substance Abuse Disorders.” Annals of Emergency Medicine 41(5):659-667. PMID: 12712033
- Kirchner JE, Curran GM, Aikens J. 2004. “Datapoints: Detecting Depression in VA Primary Care Clinics.” Psychiatric Services 55:350. PMID: 15067144
- Booth BM, Curran GM, Han 2004. “Predictors of Short-Term Course of Drinking Among Untreated At-Risk Drinkers.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol 65:63-73. PMID: 15000505
- Flynn HA, Walton MA, Curran GM, Blow FC, Knudtzen, S. 2004. “Psychological Distress and Return to Substance Use Two Years Following Treatment.” Substance Use and Misuse 39:885-910. PMID: 15217197
- Owen RR, Thrush CR, Cannon D, Sloan KL, Curran GM, Hudson T, Austen M, Ritchie M. 2004. “Use of Electronic Medical Record Data for Quality Improvement in Schizophrenia Treatment.” Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association 11:351-357. PMCID: PMC516241
- Fortney JC, Mukherjee S, Curran GM, Fortney S. Han X, Booth BM. 2004. “Factors Associated with Perceived Stigma for Alcohol Use and Treatment Among At-Risk Drinkers.” Journal of Behavioral Health Services Research 31(4):418-29. PMID: 15602142
- Curran GM, Thrush CR, Smith JL, Ritchie M, Owen RR, Chadwick D. 2005. “Implementing Research Findings into Practice Using Clinical Opinion Leaders: Barriers and Lessons Learned.” Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Safety 31(12): 700-707. PMID: 16430023
- Chermack ST, Booth BM, Curran GM. 2006. “Gender Differences in Correlates of Recent Physical Assault among Untreated Rural and Urban At-Risk Drinkers: Role of Depression.” Violence and Victimization 21(1):67-80. PMID: 16494133
- Edlund M, Curran GM, Unutzer J. 2006. “Perceived Need for Alcohol, Drug, and Mental Health Treatment.” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 41(6):480-7. PMID: 16565918
- Hagedorn H, Hogan M, Smith J, Bowman C, Curran GM, Espadas D, Kimmel B, Kochevar L, Legro M, Sales A. 2006. “Lessons Learned About Implementing Research Findings Into Clinical Practice: Experiences from VA QUERI.” Journal of General Internal Medicine 21(2):S21-S24. PMCID: PMC2557131
- Sales A, Smith JL, Curran GM, Kochevar L. 2006. “Models, Strategies and Tools: The Role of Theory in Implementing Evidence-Based Findings into Practice in Organizational Settings. Journal of General Internal Medicine 21(2):S43-S49. PMID: 16637960
- Stetler C, Legro M, Rycroft-Malone J, Bowman C, Curran GM, Guihan M, Hegedorn H, Pineros S, Wallace C. 2006. “Role of ‘External Facilitation’ in Implementation of Research Findings: A Qualitative Evaluation of Facilitation Experiences in the Veterans Health Administration.” Implementation Science 1:23 (18 October 2006). PMCID: PMC1635058
- Booth BM, Curran GM. 2006. “Variations in Drinking Patterns in the Rural South: Joint Effects of Race, Gender, and Rural Residence.” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 32:561-568. PMID: 17127544
- Stecker T, Curran GM, Han X, Booth BM. 2007. “Patterns of Health Services Use Associated with Veterans Affairs Outpatient Substance-Use Treatment.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 68:510-518. PMID: 17568954
- Curran GM, Booth BM, Kirchner J, Deneke E. 2007. “Recognition and Management of Depression in a Substance Use Treatment Population.” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 33:563-570. PMID: 17668342
- Wryobeck JM, Walton MA, Curran GM, Massey LS, Booth BM. 2007. “Complexities of Cocaine Users Presenting to the ED with Chest Pain: Interactions between Depression Symptoms, Alcohol Use, and Race.” Journal of Addiction Medicine 1:213-221. PMID: 21768960
- Stecker T, Han X, Curran GM, Booth BM. 2007. “Characteristics of Women Seeking Intensive Outpatient Substance Use Treatment in the VA.” Journal of Women’s Health 16:1478-1484. PMID: 18062763
- Curran GM, Allee, ME, Mukherjee S, Owen R. 2008. “A Process for Developing an Implementation Intervention: QUERI Series.” Implementation Science 3:17. PMID: 18353186
- Curran GM, Sullivan G, Williams DK, Han X, Allee E, Kotrala K. 2008. “The Association of Psychiatric Comorbidity and Use of the Emergency Department among Persons with Substance Use Disorders: An Observational Cohort Study.” BMC Emergency 8:17. PMCID: PMC2615439
- Curran GM, Stecker T, Han X, Booth BM. 2008. “Individual and Program Predictors of Attrition from VA Substance Use Treatment.” Journal of Behavioral Health Services and Research 36(1):25-34. PMID: 18188705
- Fortney JC, Pyne J, Smith J, Curran GM, Otero JM, Enderle MA, McDougall S. 2009. “Steps for Implementing Collaborative Care Programs for Depression.” Population Health Management 12(2):69-79. PMID: 19320606
- Borders T, Curran GM, Mattox R, Booth BM. 2010. “Religiousness among At-Risk Drinkers: Is it Prospectively Associated with the Development or Maintenance of an Alcohol-Use Disorder?” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 71(1):136-42. PMCID: PMC2815054
- Mancino M, Curran GM, Han X, Allee ME, Humphreys K, Booth BM. 2010. “Predictors of Attrition from a National Sample of Methadone Maintenance Patients.” American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse 36(3):155-60. PMCID: PMC3314423
- Booth BM, Curran GM, Han X, Wright P, Frith S, Leukefeld C, Falk R, Carlson RG. 2010. “Longitudinal Relationship between Psychological Distress and Multiple Substance Use: Results from a Three-Year Multisite Natural-History Study of Rural Stimulant Users” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 71(2):258-267. PMID: 20230724
- Small J, Curran GM, Booth BM. 2010. “Barriers and Facilitators for Alcohol Treatment for Women: Are There More or Less for Rural Women?” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 39(1):1-13. PMID: 20381284
- Pyne JM, Fortney JC, Curran GM, Tripathi S, Atkinson JH, Kilbourne AM, Hagedorn HJ, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Monson T, Bottonari KA, Asch SM, Gifford AL. 2011. “Effectiveness of Collaborative Care for Depression in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Clinics.” Archives of Internal Medicine 171(1):23-31. PMID: 21220657
- Lash SJ, Timko C, Curran GM, McKay JR, Burdon JL. 2011. “Implementation of Evidence-Based Substance Use Disorder Continuing Care Interventions.” Psychology of Addictive Behaviors 25(2): 238-251. PMID: 21443297
- Curran GM, Pyne J, Fortney JC, Gifford A, Asch SM, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Monson TP, Kilbourne AM, Hagedorn H, Atkinson JH. 2011. “Development and Implementation of Collaborative Care for Depression in HIV Clinics.” AIDS Care 23(12):1626-1636. PMID: 21714689
- Curran GM, Ounpraseuth ST, Small J, Booth BM. 2011. “Trajectories of Substance Use and Mental Health Services in Rural Stimulant Users.” Psychiatric Services 62:1230-1232. PMCID: PMC3374953
- Gifford E, Tavakoli S, Weingardt KR, Finney JW, Pierson H, Cook J, Rosen C, Hagedorn H, Cook J, Curran GM. 2012. “How Do Components of Evidence-Based Psychological Treatment Cluster in Practice? A Survey and Cluster Analysis.” Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 42(1):45-55. PMID: 21943809
- Curran GM, Bauer M, Mittman B, Pyne JM, Stetler C. 2012. “Effectiveness-Implementation Hybrid Designs: Combining Elements of Clinical Effectiveness and Implementation Research to Enhance Public Health Impact.” Medical Care 50(3):217-226. PMCID: PMC3731143
- Curran GM, Sullivan G, Mendel P, Craske MG, Sherbourne CD, Stein MB, McDaniel A, Roy-Byrne P. 2012. “Implementation of the CALM Intervention for Anxiety Disorders: A Qualitative Study.” Implementation Science 7:14. PMCID: PMC3319426
- Small J, Curran GM, Ounpraseuth ST, Booth BM. 2012. “Motivation to Change as Mediator for the Longitudinal Relationships of Gender and Alcohol Severity with One-Year Drinking Outcome.” Journal of Studies of Alcohol and Drugs 73:504–513. PMCID: PMC3316721
- Fortney JC, Enderle M, McDougall S, Clothier J, Otero J, Altman L, Curran GM. 2012. “Implementation Outcomes of Evidence Based Quality Improvement for Depression in Satellite Primary Care Clinics.” Implementation Science 7:30. PMCID: PMC3353178
- Bottonari KA, Tripathi SP, Fortney JC, Curran GM, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Gifford AL, Pyne JM. 2012. “Correlates of Antiretroviral and Antidepressant Adherence among Depressed HIV-Infected Patients.” Aids Patient Care and STDs 26(5):265-73. PMID: 22536930
- Hunt J, Curran GM, Mouden S, Ward-Jones S, Owen RR, Fortney JC. 2012. “Partnership for Implementation of Evidence-Based Mental Health Practices in Rural Federally Qualified Health Centers: Theory and Methods.” Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action 6(3):389-398. PMCID: PMC3702033
- Booth BM, Edlund M, Curran GM, Han X. 2013. “Criminal Justice and Alcohol Treatment: Results From a National Sample.” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 44(3):249-255. PMID: 22954511
- Mittal DM, Drummond K, Sullivan G, Corrigan P, Blevins D, Curran GM. 2013. “Stigma Associated with PTSD: Perceptions of Treatment Seeking Combat Veterans.” Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal 36(2):86-92. PMID: 19199854
- Wright PB, Stewart KS, Curran GM, Booth BM. 2013. “A Qualitative Study of Barriers to the utilization of HIV Testing Services among Rural African American Cocaine Users.” Journal of Drug Issues 43(3):314-334. PMCID: PMC3772639
- Wright PB, Curran GM, Booth BM, Stewart KS. “A Qualitative Analysis of Provider Barriers and Solutions to HIV Testing for Substance Users in a Small, Largely Rural Southern State.” Journal of Rural Health 29(4): 420-431.
- Waliski A, Townsend J, Cheney AM, Sullivan S, Hunt J, Curran GM. 2014. “Establishing Community Partnerships for the Prevention of Mental Distress and Suicide in Military Personnel and Veterans. Journal of Military and Government Counseling 2(1), 2-15.
- Cheney A, Dunn A, Booth BM, Frith L, Curran GM. 2014. “The Intersections of Gender and Power in Women Veterans Experiences of Substance Use and VA Care. Annals of Anthropological Practice 37(2): 149-171.
- Kirchner JE, Ritchie M, Pitcock JA, Parker LE, Curran GM, Fortney JC. 2014. “Outcomes of a Partnered Facilitation Strategy to Implement Primary Care – Mental Health.” Journal of General Internal Medicine 29(4):904-912.
- Cheney A, Curran GM, Booth BM, Borders T. 2014. “The Religious and Spiritual Dimensions of Cutting Down and Stopping Cocaine Use: A Qualitative Exploration among African Americans in the South.” Journal of Drug Issues 44(1):94-113.
- Booth BM, Stewart KE, Curran GM, Cheney AM, Borders TF. 2014. “Beliefs and Attitudes Regarding Drug Treatment: Application of the Theory of Planned Behavior in African American Cocaine Users.” Addictive Behaviors 39(10):1441-1446.
- Wright PB, Stewart KE, Curran GM, Booth BM, Mays G, Borders T. 2014. “Correlates of HIV Testing among Rural African American Cocaine Users.” Research in Nursing and Health 37(6):466-477.
- Borders TF, Booth BM, Stewart KE, Cheney AM, Curran GM. 2015. “Rural/Urban Residence, Access, and Perceived Need for Treatment among African American Cocaine Users.” Journal of Rural Health 31(1):98-107.
- Borders TF, Booth BM, Curran GM. 2015. “African American Cocaine Users’ Preferred Treatment Site: Variations by Rural/Urban Residence, Stigma, and Treatment Effectiveness.” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 50:26-31.
- Curran GM, Woo SM, Hepner KA, Lai WP, Kramer TL, Drummond KL, Weingardt K. 2015. “Training Substance Use Disorder Counselors in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Depression: Development and Initial Exploration of an Online Training Program.” Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 58:33-42.
- Cucciare MA, Sadler AG, Mengeling MA, Torner JC, Curran GM, Booth BM. 2015. “Associations between Deployment, Military Rank, and Binge Drinking in Active Duty and Reserve/National Guard US Servicewomen.” Drug and Alcohol Dependence 153:37-42.
- Smith SA, Mays GP, Felix H, Tilford JM, Curran GM, Preston MA. 2015. “The Impact of Economic Constraints on Public Health System Partnerships Structures.” American Journal of Public Health 105(9):48-53.
- Fortney JC, Curran GM, Hunt JB, Cheney AM, Lu L, Valenstein M, Eisenberg D. 2016. “Mental Illness Prevalence and Help Seeking Behaviors among Veterans and Civilian Community College Students.” General Hospital Psychiatry 38:99-104.
- Abraham T, Cheney AM, Curran GM. “A Bourdieusian Analysis of US Military Culture and Help Seeking for Mental Illness Among Military Populations.” American Journal of Men’s Health. In Press.
- Cheney AM, Booth BM, Curran GM, Borders TF. “The Role of Social Capital in African Americans’ Attempts to Reduce and Quit Cocaine Use.” Substance Use and Misuse. In Press.
- Brown CH, Curran GM, Palinkas LA, Aarons GA, Wells KB, Collins LM, Duan N, Mittman BS, Wallace A, Tabak RG, Ducharme L, Chambers D, Neta G, Wiley T, Landsverk J, Cheunh K, Cruden G. “An Overview of Research and Evaluation Designs for Implementation Involving the Traditional Research Pipeline.” Annual Review of Public Health. In Press.
- Cucciare MA, Curran GM, Han X, Booth BM. 2016. “Longitudinal Associations between Religiosity, Social Support, Methamphetamine and Cocaine Use in Untreated Rural Users in the USA.” In Press. Substance Use and Misuse.
- Zaller N, Cheney A, Curran GM, Booth BM, Borders TF. 2016. “The Criminal Justice Experience of African American Cocaine Users in Arkansas.” In Press. Substance Use and Misuse.
- Sullivan G, Cheney AM, Olson M, Haynes T, Bryant K, Cottoms N, Reaves C, Curran GM. “Rural African Americans’ Perspectives on Mental Health: Comparing Focus Groups and Deliberative Democracy Forums.” In Press.
- Cucciare MA, Curran GM, Craske M, Abraham T, McCarther MB, Marchant-Miro K, Lindset J, Kauth MR, Landes S, Sullivan G. 2016. “Assessing Fidelity of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in Rural VA Clinics: Design of a Randomized Implementation Effectiveness (hybrid type III) Trial. Implementation Science 11:65.
- Kramer TL, Drummond KL, Curran GM, Fortney JC. “Addressing Culture and Climate of Federally Qualified Health Centers: A Plan for Implementing Behavioral Health Interventions.” In Press. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
- Curran GM, White HR. 1998. “Adolescents at Risk: Low Socioeconomic Status and Early Onset Drug Use in the U.S.” In Global Drugs Law, edited by D.C. Jayasuriya, R. Nayak, and A. Wells. New Delhi, India: Har-Anand Publications Pvt Ltd., pp. 414-429.
- Zucker RA, Chermack S, Curran GM. 2000. “A Developmental Approach to the Study of Alcoholism.” (Pp. 569-587) In Handbook of Developmental Psychopathology, 2nd Edition, edited by M. Lewis and A. Sameroff. New York: Plenum Press.