Assistant Professor (Tenure Pathway), Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Research Health Scientist, VA HSR&D Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research (CeMHOR), Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
UAMS E-mail: KLDrummond@uams.edu
UAMS Phone: (501) 526-8332
Dr. Drummond is an applied medical anthropologist whose recent research focuses upon the integration of behavioral health care into primary care within the Patient-Centered Medical Home (PCMH) model. She is currently PI of a VA research project entitled “A Rapid Ethnography of Mental Health Integration under PACT Implementation,” in which she is using ethnographically-informed qualitative methods to examine primary care – mental health integration in VA primary care clinics that have fully implemented the PCMH model. She is also Co-Investigator in a recently funded NIDA R01 (Edlund, PI), in which the research team will employ qualitative methods to understand opioid prescribing and dispensing decisions through in-depth interviews with primary care providers and community pharmacists in four states. Dr. Drummond will lead the provider interviews and data analysis of the provider data for this project. Dr. Drummond’s research expertise includes qualitative methods, implementation science, and community stakeholder engagement evaluation.
Research Interests: Primary care – mental health integration, integrative medicine, functional medicine, provider attitudes, opioid prescribing, non-pharmacological pain treatment, nutrition, qualitative methods, implementation science.
Current Publications (2009-2016)
- Mittal D, Corrigan P, Curran GM, Drummond KL, Sullivan G. Provider Opinions Regarding the Development of a Stigma-Reduction Intervention Tailored for Providers. Health Education & Behavior 2015 Oct 31 [Epub ahead of print] PMID 26520152
- Curran GM, Woo S, Hepner K, Lai WP, Kramer T, Drummond KL, Weingardt K. Training substance use disorder counselors in cognitive behavioral therapy for depression: Development and initial exploration of an online training program. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 2015 Nov;58:33-42. PMID 26219680
- Mittal D, Drummond KL, Blevins D, Curran G, Corrigan P, Sullivan G. “Stigma Associated with PTSD; Perceptions of Treatment Seeking Combat Veterans. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal, Vol 36, Issue 2, June 2013
- Owen RR, Drummond KL, Viverito KM, Marchant K, Pope SK, Smith JL, Landes RD. “Monitoring and managing metabolic site effects of antipsychotics: A cluster randomized trial of an intervention combining evidence-based quality improvement and external facilitation.” Implementation Science 8:120, 2013.
- Drummond KL. “I Feel Like His Dealer:” Narratives Underlying a Case Discussion in a Palliative Medicine Rotation. Literature & Medicine, Vol 30, No. 1, Spring 2012.
- Drummond KL. “Victor Turner’s Dramaturgical Theory of Ritual” in Life as Performance: A Dramaturgical Handbook, Charles K. Edgley, editor. Ashgate Publishing Group 2013.