Richard R. Owen, M.D.
Director/Principal Investigator, Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Associate Chief of Staff for Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Professor, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Professor, Department of Epidemiology, College of Public Health, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Phone: 501-257-1710 or 501-257-4802
UAMS email: OwenRichardR@uams.edu
VA email: Richard.Owen2@va.gov
Administrative assistant – Cynthia Brace: 501-257-1706; Cynthia.Brace@va.gov
Dr. Owen is a psychiatrist with expertise in psychopharmacology and implementation of evidence-based practices in mental health. He completed a clinical research fellowship in the Clinical Neuroscience Branch and the Experimental Therapeutics Branch at the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland. He was the first psychiatrist to receive a career development award from the VA Health Services Research & Development Service (HSR&D). Throughout his career, Dr. Owen’s research has focused on assessing and improving quality of care for schizophrenia, depression, and other mental health disorders. He has developed and tested interventions to implement medication management recommendations of clinical practice guidelines for schizophrenia. This work has recently focused on improving monitoring and management for metabolic side effects of antipsychotics, studying strategies to change provider and organizational behavior. Under Dr. Owen’s leadership from 1999-2009, the Mental Health Quality Enhancement Research Initiative (QUERI) was recognized for its outstanding contributions to VA mental health care and the rapidly growing field of implementation science.
Research interests: schizophrenia, depression, psychopharmacology, implementation science, quality of care, medication adherence
Current publications, 2009-2016
- Mittal D, Owen R, Lacro JP, Landes RD, Edlund M, Valenstein M, Jeste DV. Antipsychotic adherence intervention for Veterans over 40 with schizophrenia: results of a pilot study. Clinical Schizophrenia & Related Psychoses. 2009 Jan; 24(Suppl 1): S1171. PMID: 20463858.
- Mittal D, Owen R, Lacro JP, Landes RD, Edlund M, Valenstein M, Jeste DV. Antipsychotic adherence intervention for Veterans over forty with schizophrenia: Results of a pilot study.” Clinical Schizophrenia & Related Psychoses. 2009 Jan; 2(4): 317–325. Ref # 24351.
- Parker LE, Ritchie MJ, Kirchner JE, Owen RR. Balancing health care evidence and art to meet clinical needs: policymakers’ perspectives. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. 2009 Dec 23; 15(6): 970–975.
- Scherrer JF, Chrusciel T, Zeringue A, Garfield LD, Hauptman PJ, Lustman PJ, Freedland KE, Carney RM, Bucholz KK, Owen R, True WR. Anxiety disorders increase risk for incident myocardial infarction in depressed and non-depressed Veterans Administration patients. American Heart Journal. 2010 May; 159(5): 772–779.
- Stecker T, Fortney J, Owen R, McGovern MP, Williams S. Co-occurring medical, psychiatric, and alcohol-related disorders among veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. Psychosomatics. 2010 Nov 01; 51(6): 503–507.
- Young AS, Niv N, Chinman M, Dixon L, Eisen SV, Fischer EP, Smith J, Valenstein M, Marder SR, Owen RR. Routine outcomes monitoring to support improving care for schizophrenia: report from the VA Mental Health QUERI. Community Mental Health Journal. 2011 Apr; 47(2): 123–135.
- Scherrer JF, Garfield LD, Lustman PJ, Hauptman PJ, Chrusciel T, Zeringue A, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Bucholz KK, Owen R, Newcomer JW, True WR. Antidepressant drug compliance: reduced risk of MI and mortality in depressed patients. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011 Apr; 124(4): 318–324.
- Scherrer JF, Garfield LD, Lustman PJ, Hauptman PJ, Chrusciel T, Zeringue A, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Bucholz KK, Owen R, Newcomer JW, True WR. The reply. Letter to the Editor. The American Journal of Medicine. 2011 Jul; 124(7): e17.
- Scherrer JF, Garfield LD, Chrusciel T, Hauptman PJ, Carney RM, Freedland KE, Owen R, True WR, Lustman PJ. Increased risk of myocardial infarction in depressed patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2011 Aug; 34(8): 1729–1734.
- Jackson JC, Sinnott PL, Marx BP, Murdoch M, Sayer NA, Alvarez JM, Greevy RA, Schnurr PP, Friedman MJ, Shane AC, Owen RR, Keane TM, Speroff T. Variation in practices and attitudes of clinicians assessing PTSD-related disability among Veterans. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2011 Oct; 24(5): 609–613.
- Li C, Mittal D, Owen RR. Impact of patients’ pre-existing metabolic risk factors on the choice of antipsychotics by office-based physicians. Psychiatric Services. 2011 Dec; 62(12): 1477–1484.
- Scherrer JF, Chrusciel T, Garfield LD, Freedland KE, Carney RM, Hauptman PJ, Bucholz KK, Owen R, Lustman PJ. Treatment-resistant and insufficiently treated depression and all-cause mortality following myocardial infarction. The British Journal of Psychiatry. 2012 Feb; 200(2): 137–142.
- Mittal D, Li C, Owen R. Do outpatients with dementia or delirium receive recommended monitoring for metabolic side effects when prescribed antipsychotics? Alzheimer’s & Dementia. 2012 Jul 7; 8(4): P712.
- Marx PB, Jackson JC, Schnurr PP, Murdoch M, Sayer NA, Keane TM, Friedman MJ, Greevy RA, Owen RR, Sinnott PL, Speroff T. The reality of malingered PTSD among Veterans: reply to McNally and Frueh (2012). Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2012 Aug; 25(4): 457–460.
- Hunt JB, Curran G, Kramer T, Mouden S, Ward-Jones S, Owen R, Fortney J. Partnership for implementation of evidence-based mental health practices in rural federally qualified health centers: theory and methods. Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education, and Action. 2012 Fall; 6(3): 389–398.
- Speroff T, Sinnott PL, Marx B, Owen RR, Jackson JC, Greevy R, Sayer N, Murdoch M, Shane AC, Smith J, Alvarez J, Nwosu SK, Keane T, Weathers F, Schnurr PP, Friedman MJ. Impact of evidence-based standardized assessment on the disability clinical interview for diagnosis of service-connected PTSD: a cluster-randomized trial. Journal of Traumatic Stress. 2012 Dec; 25(6): 607–615.
- Rosen CS, Tiet QQ, Harris A, Julian T, McKay J, Moore WM, Owen R, Rogers S, Rosito O, Smith D, Smith M, Schnurr PP. Telephone monitoring and support after discharge from residential PTSD treatment: a randomized controlled trial. Psychiatric Services. 2013 Jan: 64(1): 13–20.
- Mittal D, Li C, Williams S, Viverito K, Owen RR. Monitoring Veterans for metabolic side effects when prescribing antipsychotics? Psychiatric Services. 2013 Jan; 64(1): 28–35.
- Pemberton JR, Kramer TL, Borrego J, Owen RR. Kids at the VA? A call for evidence-based parenting interventions for returning Veterans. Psychological Services. 2013 May; 10(2): 194-202.
- Fischer EP, Sherman MD, Han X, Owen RR. Outcomes of participation in the REACH multifamily group program for Veterans with PTSD and their families. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. 2013 Jun; 44(3): 127-134.
- Viverito KM, Cardin SA, Johnson LA, Owen RR. Lessons learned from two peer-led mutual support programs. International Journal of Group Psychotherapy. 2013 Oct; 63(4): 593-600.
- Owen RR, Drummond KL, Viverito KM, Marchant K, Pope SK, Smith JL, Landes RD. Monitoring and managing metabolic effects of antipsychotics: a cluster randomized trial of an intervention combining evidence-based quality improvement and external facilitation. Implementation Science. 2013 Oct 8; 8(1): 120.
- Garfield L, Lustman P, Carney R, Freedland K, Owen RR, Bucholz K, Hauptman P, Balasubramanian S. Association of anxiety disorders and depression with incident heart failure. Psychosomatic Medicine. 2014 Feb; 76(2): 128-136.
- Fortney JC, Owen RR. Increasing treatment engagement for persons with serious mental illness using personal health records. American Journal of Psychiatry. 2014 Mar 1; 171(3): 259-261
- Littman AJ, Damschroder L, Verchinia L, Lai Z, Hoerster K, Owen R, Goodrich D. National evaluation of MOVE! outcomes for Veterans with and without mental health diagnoses: a re-aim analysis. Annals of Behavioral Medicine. 2014 Apr; 47(Supp 1): s50
- Mittal D, Li C, Viverito KM, Williams JS, Landes RD, Thapa PB, Owen RR. Monitoring for metabolic side-effects among outpatients with dementia receiving antipsychotics. Psychiatric Services. 2014 Sep 1; 65(9): 1147-1153
- Viverito K, Owen R, Mittal D, Li C, Williams J. Management of new hyperglycemia in patients taking antipsychotics. Psychiatric Services. 2014 Dec 1; 65(12): 1502-1505
- Littman AJ, Damschroder LJ, Verchinina L, Lai Z, Kim HM, Hoerster KD, Klingaman EA, Goldberg RW, Owen RR, Goodrich DE. National evaluation of obesity screening and treatment among Veterans with and without mental health disorders. General Hospital Psychiatry. 2015 Jan-Feb; 27(1): 7-13
- Fischer E, Sherman MD, McSweeney JC, Pyne JM, Owen RR, Dixon LB. Perspectives of family and Veterans on family programs to support reintegration of returning Veterans with PTSD. Psychological Services. 2015 Aug; 12(3): 187-198
- Wu S, Duan N, Wisdom JP, Kravitz RL, Owen RR, Sullivan G, Wu AW, Di Capua P, Hoagwood KE. Integrating science and engineering to implement evidence-based practices in health care settings. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. 2015 Sep; 42(5): 588-592
- Sherman MD, Fischer E, Owen RR, Lu L, Han X. Multi-family group treatment for Veterans with mood disorders: a pilot study. Couple and Family Psychology: Research and Practice. 2015 Sep; 4(3): 136-149
- Waliski A, Townsend JC, Castro MI, Doan R, Kirchner JE, Owen RR, Conner KR. Navigating the institutional review board system to conduct suicide research. Annals of Public Health and Research. 2015 Nov 27; 2(4): 1028