Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, College of Medicine, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Clinical Psychologist, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Investigator, VISN 16 MIRECC, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Research Health Scientist, Center for Mental Healthcare and Outcomes Research, Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System
Investigator, Center for Implementation Research, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Affiliate Instructor, University of Washington, Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences, Seattle, WA
Sara J. Landes, Ph.D., is a clinical psychologist interested in researching the implementation of evidence-based mental health treatments, with a focus on suicide prevention and larger health care systems. She completed a predoctoral psychology internship and an NIMH-funded NRSA postdoctoral fellowship at the University of Washington School of Medicine where she developed clinical expertise in interventions for suicide, specifically Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT). During her fellowship, she helped write a NIMH-funded conference grant that resulted in the creation of the Society for Implementation Research Collaboration. Following fellowship, Dr. Landes worked at the VA’s National Center for PTSD’s Dissemination and Training Division where she was awarded a VA QUERI Rapid Response Project (RRP) to examine implementation of DBT in VA. She was also a co-investigator on two Department of Defense-funded implementation research projects that examined online training and dissemination through a provider registry. Dr. Landes is currently leading a VA HSR&D-funded project to evaluate the implementation of interventions for suicide with the VA’s Office of Suicide Prevention and serves on the Military Suicide Research Consortium Dissemination and Implementation Core.
Current Publications (2009-2016)
- *Chugani, C., & Landes, S. J. (in press). Dialectical behavior therapy in college counseling centers: Current trends and barriers to implementation. Journal of College Student Psychotherapy.
- Landes, S. J., Matthieu, M. M., *Smith, B. N., *Trent, L. R., *Rodriguez, A. L., Kemp, J., & Thompson, C. (in press). Dialectical behavior therapy training and desired resources for implementation: Results from a national program evaluation in the Veterans Health Administration. Military Medicine.
- *Chalker, S. A., Carmel, A., Atkins, D., Landes, S. J., Kerbrat, A. H., & Comtois, K. A. (2015). Examining challenging behaviors of clients with borderline personality disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 75, 11-19. doi:10.1016/j.brat.2015.10.003
- Landes, S. J., Carlson, E. B., Ruzek, J. I., Wang, D., Hugo, E., DeGaetano, N., Chambers, J. G., & Lindley. S. E. (2015). Provider-driven development of a measurement feedback system to enhance measurement-based care in VA mental health. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 22, 87-100. doi: 10.1016/j.cbpra.2014.06.004
- *Ditty, M. S., Landes, S. J., Doyle, A., & Beidas, R. S. (2015). It takes a village: A mixed method analysis of inner setting variables and dialectical behavior therapy implementation. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 42, 672-681. doi:10.1007/s10488-014-060
- Meyers, L. L., Landes, S. J., & Thuras, P. (2014). Veterans’ service utilization & associated costs following participation in dialectical behavior therapy: A preliminary investigation. Military Medicine, 179, 1368-1373. doi:10.7205/MILMED-D-14-00248
- Landes, S. J., Burton, J. R., King, K. M., & Sullivan, B. F. (2013). Women’s preference of therapist based on sex of therapist and presenting problem: An analog study. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 26, 330-342. doi:10.1080/09515070.2013.819795
- Landes, S. J., Kanter, J. W, Weeks, C. E., & Busch, A. M. (2013). The impact of the active components of functional analytic psychotherapy on idiographic target behaviors. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science, 2, 49-57. doi:10.1016/j.jcbs.2013.03.004
- Landes, S. J., Garovoy, N. D., & Burkman, K. B. (2013). Treating complex trauma among veterans: Three stage-based treatment models. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session, 69, 523-533. doi:10.1002/jclp.21988
- Landes, S. J. (2013). The case: Treating Jared through DBT. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session, 69, 488-489. doi:10.1002/jclp.21984
- O’Connor, S., Jobes, D., Comtois, K., Atkins, D., Janis, K., Chessen, C., & Landes, S. J. (2012). Identifying outpatients with entrenched suicidal ideation following hospitalization. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 42, 173-184. doi:10.1111/j.1943-278X.2012.00080.x
- Weeks, C. E., Kanter, J. W., Bonow, J. T., Landes, S. J., & Busch, A. M. (2011). Translating the theoretical into practical: A logical framework of functional analytic psychotherapy interactions for research, training and clinical purposes. Behavior Modification, 36, 87-119. doi:10.1177/0145445513477127
- Chessen, C. E., Comtois, K. A., & Landes, S. J. (2011). Untreated posttraumatic stress among persons with severe mental illness despite marked trauma and symptomatology. Psychiatric Services, 62, 1201-1206. doi:10.1176/appi.ps.62.10.1201
- Comtois, K. A., Jobes, D., O’Connor, S., Atkins, D., Janis, K. E., Holen, A., Youdelis-Flores, C., & Landes, S. J. (2011). Collaborative assessment and management of suicidality (CAMS): Feasibility trial for next-day appointment services. Depression and Anxiety, 28, 963-972. doi:10.1002/da.20895
- McCann, B. S., & Landes, S. J. (2010). Hypnosis in the treatment of depression: Considerations in research design and methods. International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis, 58, 147-164. doi:10.1080/00207140903523186
- Kanter, J. W., Rusch, L. C., Landes, S. J., Holman, G. I., Whiteside, U., & Sedivy, S. (2009). The use and nature of present-centered interventions in cognitive and behavioral therapies for depression. Psychotherapy: Theory, Research, Practice, Training, 46, 220-232. PMCID: PMC2851097